Instagram

Tuesday 27 October 2015

What does Milk taste like again?

I honestly can't remember what milk tastes like. Isn't that strange? The thought came to be the other day when I was enjoying a soya hot chocolate in one of my favourite vegan cafes Earth. I was trying to remember how different milk tastes from soya or if it tastes different at all and I couldn't, after around four months of being vegan I have forgotten what something I used to have all the time tastes like. 

I've never been a huge fan of dairy products anyway but having spent so long being vegetarian I didn't realise how quickly I could forget the taste of something and how I no longer cared. I am happy to have my hot chocolate with soya, oat milk or even water, I don't crave dairy or feel that I need it in my diet. I actually feel healthier now that I've removed it, maybe it wasn't as good for me as I once believed.  

So for everyone who feels that they will never live without the taste of milk, cheese or meat trust me you will, you will even forget the taste of it or why you loved it so much in the first place! 

The things I thought I'd never be able to live without were cheese, milk chocolate and milk in my tea. Now I love the Violife alternative to cheese, to me it tastes the same so I'm not missing out, vegan chocolate wins hands down in the taste competitions to any chocolate I ever ate in the past and I now love the creamy oat milk I have in my tea and couldn't imagine a brew without it. Apparently it takes your taste buds around 21 times of eating something to get used to it, which is always good to remember when trying new foods, but maybe it also means that after a few weeks of not eating something you forget what it's like.  

Taste changes if you allow it, your body adapts, your mind changes. You CAN live without meat and dairy, you might even prefer the alternatives. Why not give it a go? 

No comments:

Post a Comment