Instagram

Thursday 26 May 2016

But what do you even eat?

Another day, another ridiculous question vegans get asked. Is it really that hard to understand what a vegan can eat. All you have to do is understand what we don't eat- any animal related products. What's left is an abundance of food- fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains and believe it or not pizzas, pastas, curries and cakes. That's right a vegan can eat anything that everyone else does as there is a vegan version to everything. You simply replace the animal products with alternatives. If you eat burger and chips there's a vegan version and many meat alternatives that can actually taste weirdly similar. If you want pizza you simply use vegan cheese and with so many vegan sweet options from cakes to chocolate to ice cream you are spoilt for choice. I think most people assume vegans eat like rabbits when the truth is there is so much choice and not all vegans eat the same. There is such a thing as vegan junk food or vegans who are ultra healthy and only eat whole foods or raw foods. 

The question really does annoy me as it shows a real ignorance towards food. Do meat eaters really eat dead flesh at every meal and can't possibly think of any foods that don't contain animal products. Have they never eaten a salad? It seems strange to me that most people's food revolves so much around meat they don't even understand what you can eat without it. There is a whole world of food with thousands of edible plants and amazing vegan options. I feel like I should have a list prepared for when people ask me this question and just reel off all the foods I eat or maybe carry around a food diary but this might be too much effort. For now I keep repeating the same things, I eat what everyone else does I just have the vegan version because there is a cruelty free version of EVERY food! So the real question is not about what I eat but why do you choose to eat animal products when there is a healthier, murder and cruelty free option? 

No comments:

Post a Comment