Instagram

Thursday 19 May 2016

No Vegan Labels

After a rather annoying visit to Asda, where yet again I was charged for items which were 'on offer' and had to queue up at customer service like an extra from Oliver Twist begging for my money back in order to save a few pennies (every little helps right?) I'm wondering why I shop here at all? 

It's not my regular supermarket as I mainly shop at Aldi but for some branded products I occasionally shop in different supermarkets depending on where I am closest to that day. I don't mind the store and there are some things which are cheaper, the Asda brown pasta is very reasonably priced and they do stock some vegan options, however their own brand food is not vegan friendly. 

None of the Asda's own brand products are labelled vegan, even though some of them obviously are. They label things vegetarian and it is then a case of reading ingredients and checking for dairy or egg products. This would be far too time consming if this was my weekly shopping haunt and it's wasting valuable minutes of my life I could be spending writing my blog or relaxing on the sofa! Some of the products are fine and are actually vegan friendly so why don't they label them vegan like other supermarkets such as Sainsburys and Tesco have been doing for a while? 

It seems a little lazy, if you can have a vegetarian label on food why not a vegan one? Even things like rice cakes only have vegetarian labels on them, it's not a major issue but if other supermarkets are capable of vegan labelling it's strange that this major chain don't want to do the same and appeal to the growing number of vegans in this country. 

I think from now on I am going to be supporting the vegan label more often as I feel it is the only way to show demand for vegan products, so if Asda can't be bothered to label something vegan I won't bother to buy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment