Instagram

Thursday 28 July 2016

Vegan Cheese


One of the main reasons many people avoid going vegan is because they love cheese. I know this because it was my reason for many months when I was debating going vegan. Looking back I hate how much cheese I used to cover my food with, I loved it on pasta, pizza and sandwiches and probably ate it every week. It was a staple of my diet so the thought of giving it up seemed impossible. However there came a point when I could no longer ignore the ethical, environmental and health reasons in going vegan and I decided that giving up cheese was a small price to pay for living a cruelty free life. I wasn't looking forward to giving it up but I did it anyway. 

Now after over a year of being vegan I don't miss cheese and my taste has changed to the point where I don't really eat vegan cheese much but it is something I occasionally buy. I am so impressed with the choice of vegan cheese, it is so realistic that anyone thinking they couldn't give up cheese should try the alternatives as you can still have the flavour without supporting the cruel and unhealthy dairy industry. 

The picture above is my pasta meal topped with grated Violife cheese. This is one of the most popular brands of vegan cheese as they have a range of flavours. This cheddar style block has a mild flavour and looks and tastes just like mild cheddar cheese. Try it and see if you notice a difference but I imagine anyone just looking at the picture would be surprised to know it is vegan, it doesn't look any different and can be used in the same ways. I always say that everything has a vegan alternative, the vegan food industry is very creative and is making alternatives to everything so why choose the cruel option when you can have any flavour of food you like without any animal products?

It's also good to remember that your taste does change once you start eating healthier, I am now eating foods I had never tried before as going vegan makes you try new foods. Your taste also changes and things you thought you couldn't live without become the same foods you can't believe you ever ate. Don't be put off because you 'love' something because one day you will look back and wonder why you ever ate it in the first place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment